The Sandwich Windmill
In the 18th Century, numerous wind-powered gristmills stood on the shore of the Detroit River between Sandwich and Tecumseh. Jacques Baby’s mill was located near this site on lot #2 at the foot of Mill Street not from the historic Duff-Baby Mansion. During the War of 1812, the American General William Hull commandeered flour for his troops from the mill before his retreat from Sandwich. At that time, up to 50 bushels of grain per day could be ground into flour, which sold for 25 cents a pound. This commemorative structure was erected in 1992, recreating a wind-powered gristmill representing the original windmills in this area.