The story begins... with the crack of the bat, the drop of the puck or the header that scores the goal. Our region has a distinguished record of hosting national and international sporting events and professional conferences. We boast a wide array of excellent facilities, and we take pride in a storied history of professionally executed event management and marketing expertise for hosting major events. The Windsor Essex region has many venues and state-of-the art facilities to choose from whether it’s hockey, baseball, soccer or track & field.
Our past and future events include:
• 2013 International Children’s Games
• 2011 Canadian Tour Championship
• 2011 C.I.S. Woman’s Basketball Championships
• 2010 Grey Power World Cup of Curling (Host city)
• 2010 OCAA Badminton Provincial Championships
• 2010 CIBA Men’s Baseball National Championships at Mic Mac Park
• 2010 OHL Prospects Game
• 2009- 2011 Red Bull Air Race World Championship (exclusive Canadian site) 750,000 spectators
• 2009 CCAA National Golf Championships – Ambassador Golf Club
• 2009 OHL All-Star Game
• 2009 Subway Super Series
• 2009 Provincial Special Olympics Summer Games, 1,000 delegates
• 2008 Canadian Olympic & Paralympics Athletics Trials
The dash for the net, the tie-breaking power play or the summer breeze across the outfield will set your story in motion, here in Windsor Essex Pelee Island.
If you want exciting hockey action, look no further than the Ontario Hockey League’s, and our hometown's, Windsor Spitfires. The Junior A Spitfires are two-time, and back to back, Memorial Cup champions – 2009 and 2010. They play their home games at the WFCU Centre.
The Windsor Express is Windsor's first pro basketball team in the National Basketball League of Canada. They are looking to better last year’s efforts when they were one win away from reaching the NBL Canada Championships.
Teams that are currently in the league include:
Saint John Mill Rats